Monday, June 22, 2009

My brother the CHAMPION

My brother, Shawn, just finished running the Wasatch Back on Saturday. Not only did he run it, but he ran the HARDEST leg of the race. Ragnar. In 4 miles, you run up a mean dirt road with an elevation gain of 1678 ft. He ran it in the rain and mud and never stopped. He's my hero. Just to give you an idea, he ran the first mile of his first leg (you run three legs of the race in this relay) in 6 min 4 sec. Yeah, he's a speed demon. So his goal for Ragnar was to not stop and to run an 11 minute mile. (I think I would have been in the range of a 30 minute mile up that hill!) AND... not only did he do it, but he ran it faster and with an inch of mud on his shoes. What a guy! And here he is, sitting to Dave's left (with all the great men in my family).












For any of you wanting to run a race like the Wasatch Back, I would say DO IT! :) It's so fun! I did it three times before our kids were born and loved it. You don't get any sleep, run about 15 miles in 24 hours and hang out with 6 other sweaty runners in your van. What could be better? Maybe, hopefully, Dave and I can do it next year. Anyone want to join?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

That is truly amazing. I think I'd be with you at 30 min. No, I probably would have quit. :) The boy pic is adorable too. I love Dave holding Ethan. So fun to see.

HiccupMeL said...

What a cool picture!! I can't believe how grown up your brothers are! I remember when they were so little... :)

Heidi Henderson said...

WAY TO GO SHAWN!

Amy & Greg said...

yes, i want to join! seriously. i was just talking to greg about doing this!

Just Be us said...

AMAZING! Seriously. He rocks!